您现在的位置: 方向标英语网 >> 英语学习方法 >> 英语阅读 >> 文章正文
英语搜索:
 
 最新英语            more>>
 推荐英语            more>>
 热门英语            more>>

Information Please询问处

作者:stephen    文章来源:方向标英语网    点击数:    更新时间:2010-4-1 【我来说两句


I fell off the stool, pulling the receiver out of the box by its roots.
我由矮凳上摔下,连根把听筒由盒子里拔出来。
We were both terrified -- Information Please was no longer there, and I was not at all sure that I hadn't hurt her
 when I pulled the receiver out.
我们俩都吓坏了,因为询问处不再在那里了,而我根本不能确定当我把听筒拔出来时,有没有伤到她。
Minutes later there was a man on the porch.
几分钟后,有一个人出现在门廊上。
"I'm a telephone repairman," he said.
「我是修理电话的人,」他说。
"I was working down the street and the operator said there might be some trouble at this number."
「我正沿着街道在工作,总机说(你们)这个号码可能有麻烦。
He reached for the receiver in my hand. "What happened?"
」他伸手去拿我手中的听筒。「怎么一回事?」
I told him.
我告诉他。
"Well, we can fix that in a minute or two."
「哦,再过一两分钟,我们可以把它装修完毕。
He opened the telephone box, exposing a mess of wires and coils, and fiddled for a while with the end of the receiver
  cord, tightening things with a small screwdriver.
」他打开电话盒子,显露出一团电线和线圈,然后拨弄一阵子听筒的端线,用螺丝起子把东西锁紧。
He jiggled the hook up and down a few times, then spoke into the phone.
他上下轻摇几次钩子,然后对着电话说话。
"Hi, this is Pete. Everything's under control at 105."
「嗨,我是彼得。现在105号一切正常。」
He hung up, smiled, gave me a pat on the head and walked out the door.
他挂断了电话,微笑着在我头上轻拍了一下,然后走出门。
All this took place in a small town in the Pacific Northwest.
这一切都发生在太平洋西北部的一个小镇。
Then, when I was nine years old, we moved across the country to Boston and I missed my mentor acutely.
然后,就在我九岁时,我们横越这个国家搬到波士顿。我强烈地想念我贤明的顾问。
Information Please belonged in that old wooden box back home, and I somehow never thought of trying the tall, skinny
  new phone that sat on a small table in the hall.
询问处是放在遥远的老家那个旧盒子里面,而我不知怎地,从未想到要尝试放在厅堂里小桌上的那个高高的皮包骨的新电话。
Yet, as I grew into my teens, the memories of those childhood conversations never really left me; often in moments of
  doubt and perplexity I would recall the serene sense of security I had when I knew that I could call Information
  Please and get the right answer.
但是,当我长到十几岁,这些儿时交谈的记忆从未真正离我而去;往往在疑虑和困惑的片刻,我会回忆起每当我知道我可以打电话给
询问处,而且得到正确的答案的时候,我就有那种宁静的安全感。

 

上一页  [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] 下一页

已有很多网友发表了看法,点击参与讨论】【对英语不懂,点击提问】【英语论坛】【返回首页

  • 上一篇文章:
  • 下一篇文章:
  •  英语图片文章                                          more>>