Directions: There are 20 blanks in the following passage. For each blank there are four choices marked A), B1),B) and D) on the right side of the paper. You should choose the ONE that best fits into the passage. Then mark the corresponding letter in the Answer Sheet with a single line through the center.
Every one wants to be healthy and happy. ___1__, illness or accidents may
occur without any __2___. Frequently, the
person who is __3___ can be cared for at
home if there is someone ___4__ of looking
after him under the doctor’s ___5__.
Sometimes arrangements can be ___6__ for a
visiting nurse to give the necessary___7__ once a day, or oftener, if necessary. The responsible one in the home___8__on with
the rest of the care during the ___9__ between the nurses’ visit.
The rapid diagnosis and immediate treatment ___10__ the spot of an accident or
sudden illness. ___11__awaiting the arrival of doctors, is called the first aid and quite ___12__ from the home nursing.
When illness does come, the whole family is ___13__. Many adjustments have
to be made ___14__ the family routine
needn’t be ___15__ completely. Often it can be rearranged with home duties simplified to save time and energy, thus reducing ___16__ on the family.
The ___17__ responsibility for giving
nursing care is usually ___18__ by one
person, frequently the mother. __19___, in order that she may have some needed rest, or ___20__she herself is ill, other members of the family should learn how to help when sickness occurs.
1. A)Apparently B) Occasionally C)Unfortunately D)Naturally
2. A)reason B)warning C)information D)notice
3. A)ill B)weak C)healthy D)patient
4. A)suitable B)appropriate C)efficient D)capable
5. A)direction B)decision C)introduction D)education
6. A)taken B)put C)make D)supplied
7. A)care B)treatment C)cure D)concern
8. A)works B)depends C)carries D)looks
9. A)occasion B)interval C)turn D)holiday
10. A)at B)from C)in D)on
11. A)while B)as C)before D)where
12. A)separate B)urgent C)valid D)distinct
13. A)interfered B)protected C)affected D)suffered
14. A)if B)but C)and D)since
15. A)maintained B)neglected C)ignored D)disturbed
16. A)strain B)worry C)trouble D)pain
17. A)technical B)minor C)overall D)reasonable
18. A)consumed B)assumed C)retained D)obtained
19. A)However B)Unexpectedly C)Moreover D) Consequently
20. A)in fact B)as a result C)in case D)on the contrary